Energetic Salt Cleansing
You can certainly find salt in my kitchen but I rarely ever use it for cooking, its more about the cleansing, detoxing and high vibe properties if you ask me. We've all heard of the good old Epsom salt bath to help soothe sore and tired muscles but what I'm delving into a little more here is the energetic qualities of salt and how beneficial they can especially be for my empaths, lightworkers and highly sensitive individuals out there. The healers and world class nurtures of the world if you will, but lets be real, as empaths, we pick up alot of other peoples energetic stuff and it can even be hard to shake our own discomforts whether we like it or not. The quote "don't take things so personal" isn't always easy.
Being an empath is a blessing when you are able to strike the right balance between sharing, restoring and conserving your own energy. When your reserves are running low, you may need a little extra TLC and there is nothing wrong with that. #teamselfcare
Epsom and Sea Salts both contain an abundant amount of minerals. Epsom salt specially contains a high amount of magnesium sulfate, excellent for tired muscles, aches and pains. Magnesium sulfate flushes out those heavy feeling muscle toxins, relaxing muscle tissue and creating space to relieve tension.
Our emotions can most certainly manifest throughout our bodies in the form of physical tension (and even into disease if you ask me). I see this throughout the bodywork I do & I even experience it myself. If I start getting out of touch with my body and managing stress incorrectly, it's Hello TMJ and headaches. I'm a big thinker, talker and a communicator so it's no surprise that my tension manifests in my jaw and my head. Especially when I can't find the time or way to get my words out, it's like my jaw and headspace like to play ping-pong and I'm just the human running around figuring out how to balance between both. Other examples that I have seen are someone treating backpain, while they non-nonchalantly mention they have a boss that just won't "get off their back" or someone with neck pain dealing with that "pain in the neck" neighbor. You get the idea.
Cleansing and detoxifying with salts not only physically helps to relieve this tension but from an energetic stand point, salt cuts psychic connections and cleanses the aura, relieving the mind from whatever situation that may be manifesting itself in the body. Salt baths can be used to cut the energetic connection of a hectic day (that micro-managing boss or annoying neighbor) to cutting the connection of a past situation, relationship or minor trauma. You know, those instances when you just can't stop thinking about something, can't turn work off, can't get over something rude someone said and even for those "what if's" that our minds like to ruminate in. Specifically for my empaths and highly sensitive individuals, your mind and energies must be cleansed in order for you to restore and recharge.
Water and salt both cleanse energetic bonds so try bathing at night and heading straight to sleep before your mind has time to wander back into overpowering, negative or ruminating energies. While falling asleep after your bath, use visualizations of cutting cords to keep your energy and mind clear if you start wandering. Something wonderful one of my fellow lovely lightworkers shared with me is a Pranic healing technique, when the mind starts thinking negative, just switch it, turn it around, whatever you have to do, just switch it quickly. Not always easy but certainly simple and worth the try every time. Writing the thoughts out on paper help too, whatever you have to do to literally get them off your mind.
Salt is a naturally occurring and high vibration mineral. With or without water, salt will always purify and draw energies out. In the Japanese Shinto tradition, Salt is used in many space purification rituals. Salt is placed at the 4 corners of a new plot to purify the land, at the outside entrance of a home to purify anyone who enters, around the land to prevent impurities from entering the home and outside businesses to attract prosperity and clients. These style traditions can certainly be modified and used to fit into our modern lifestyle of today and are especially useful for us city dwellers living around lots of different energies.
Cleanse Yourself |
- Fill tub with warm/hot water, add in 1-3 cups Epsom salt, desired essential oils and a splash of body oil to keep skin hydrated and soft. Set your intention or say a prayer over the water as you add in your salts and oils. Light some candles and create your personal ambiance.
- Drink a large glass of water before bathing and keep another glass of water next to tub while your detoxing, you may get thirsty.
- Enjoy your soak, rest, meditate and clear your mind. Try try to soak for at least 20-30 minutes. Feel free to add in some breathing exercises and music too.
- When you are complete, start draining water while you are still in the tub, feeling and visualizing whatever energies you are cleansing and separating from going straight down the drain.
- When you get out of the tub, try to air dry as much as possible.
- Drink another glass of water and head to sleep. You will most likely feel ready for bed and the sleep helps prevent any energetic bonds from becoming strengthened by our waking minds thinking too much.
Cleanse Your Space |
- Take a day to clear clutter and deep cleanse your space. Open the windows, cabinets and closet doors to circulate fresh air and energy throughout.
- Burn some sage and sprinkle salt throughout the home during this time as well.
- After cleansing is complete and cleared, place a bowl of salt in the heart of your home and the entrance of your home. Consider the heart the most used and happy place of the home.
- In 3 days, empty these salt bowls outside somewhere on the grass, woods or beach, returing the salt to where it came from.
- To maintain the cleansing and protective properties of salt in your home, keep a salt bowl at your entrance, heart of the home and anywhere you feel drawn to place one. Replace salt weekly. This entire ritual can certainly be done to purify your office or workspace too.
Epsom salt, Sea salt & Himalayan salts are all excellent choices for energetic cleansing. I find a mix of Epsom & Sea salt is what I gravitate towards. Do avoid table salt, as it has been processed, lessening the natural mineral content. Not sure about you but I find salt belongs much more in my toolbox of self-care than my kitchen.